Pray for open doors - Colossians 4:2,3
We cannot take for granted that there are open doors everywhere. Many missionaries work in India with restricted access or in areas that are resistant to the Gospel, where, even though there are open doors, there are closed hearts.
• Pray that God will guide the missionaries as they cross barriers and find hearts ready to receive the Word of God.
• Pray that God opens doors for ministry in the villages and towns.
• Pray that they should able to identify the opportunities.
2. Pray for courage to witness - Ephesians 6:19,20
Nothing should make the missionary to fear, God to protect them from all evils. Pray so that they can minister effectively in other cultures and languages. Pray for God's power to defeat the power of the enemy's opposition and to conquer the fear of failure and shame.
3. Pray that the Word of God is proclaimed without obstacles - 2 Thessalonians 3:1
In order for the Word of God to flow freely, the obstacles have to be removed. The enemy is trying to hinder the work of God and has to be resisted. In the same way that Aaron and Hur supported the arms of Moses in the battle against the Amalekites (Exodus 17:12), we can support the tired arms of the missionaries with your prayers. We are reminded that our fight is against the spiritual forces of evil that attack in any area (Ephesians 6:10-18).
4. Pray for protection - 2 Thessalonians 3:2
Pray that God will protect the missionaries from those who seek to do them harm. Pray that God will change the hearts of those who oppose the Word of God and those who bring such kind of opposition.
5. Pray for God's direction and travel mercies - Romans 15:32
Missionaries travel frequently and their mode of transportation varies greatly. Many times traveling produces tension. Pray for things that are needed when they travel protection, favorable travel - conditions and permission, etc. Pray for safety in travel.
6. Pray for spiritual renewal
"so that I may come to you in joy by the will of God and find refreshing rest in your company" - Romans 15:32 (NASB - Emphasis added).
• Pray that the missionaries seek the Holy Spirit and be encouraged by Him.
• Pray that they have the discipline to study the Word of God, to pray faithfully so that God will reward them publicly.
• Pray that they shall have good Christian fellowship with other believers.
"I urge you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me" - Romans 15:30 (NIV).
7. Pray for good health of the Missionaries
Physical health of the missionary is important, and many missionaries returned from the mission fields on the grounds of ill health. Common foes are malaria, hepatitis, amoebic dysentery, dengue fever, tuberculosis, kalazar, cerebral malaria, typhoid, etc. Excessive fatigue may cause depression or discouragement, with disastrous results in other areas. We need, too, to be aware of attacks upon mental health. Our enemy sometimes attacks the minds, leading to mental and emotional problems. Anxiety and worry will soon drain of all vitality. We need to learn to guard against these with the "shield of faith." Pray that God will keep the missionaries in that condition of health that will best glorify Him.
8. Pray for the missionaries' children
They need wisdom to train and teach their children in ways well-pleasing to God and in full accordance with His Word. Pray for the health of missionaries' children. Pray that both parents will be godly role models and will do all they can to help their children develop godly self-worth. Pray that parents may have wisdom in providing for their education. Pray that children, as well as parents, will have a good understanding and attitude, if separation becomes necessary for schooling. Pray especially that the children will not let any bitterness take root because of separation.
9. Write letters to Missionaries.
A word of encouragement through letter, phone call, mail will motivate the missionary to press on in their mission work.
10 Visit the missionaries whenever possible
Visiting the missionaries will encourage both the visitor and the missionaries. Your personal visit inspires them; motivates them to do great things for the Lord.
Thank you for praying
For more information and opportunities to participate in prayer, contact us.